Order Entry Job Description
To all the wholesale distributors out there whose sales reps are still writing orders by hand on paper forms, you may find yourself in need of sales order entry staff. To help with the hiring process, we’ve written this handy order entry job description. Warning––it may or may not actually help you hire anyone. (For reasons that will soon become clear.)
Order Entry Professional Needed for Fast-Growing Wholesale Brand!
A rapidly expanding wholesale brand is currently seeking individuals to transfer order information––from paper order forms, Excel spreadsheets, incoming faxes (yes, you read that right...faxes.), and the occasional cryptic sales rep email––into a back office system. This order entry professional will be an absolutely key player in how quickly we are able to ship orders to customers, as well as the accuracy of those orders. Because all of our orders are written using these disparate manual methods (most commonly paper and pen), order entry is a critical function. We have a growing catalog of over 10,000 SKUs, and orders can be dozens or even hundreds of line items long. The ideal candidate for this job must therefore have superhuman eyesight and mental fortitude.
Sales Order Entry Job Description:
- Maintains customer database by entering any new and updated customer and account information.
- Enters order data by inputting alphabetic and numeric information on a keyboard.
- Interprets handwriting styles of up to 25 different sales reps accurately, 100% of the time. (Impossible, you say? Well, yeah.)
- Verifies entered customer and order data by reviewing, deleting, correcting, and/or re-entering data that may or may not have been correct in the first place (due most commonly to human error during the order writing process).
- Secures information by guarding any and all paper assets with life & limb. If papers are lost, orders are lost.
- Processes customer and account source documents by reviewing data for deficiencies; resolving discrepancies by using standard procedures (i.e. getting in contact with the person who wrote the order to ask them why they forgot to include quantities on certain line items, for example).
- Purging files to eliminate duplication of data.
Skills and Qualifications:
- A rigorous attention to detail that includes the uncanny ability to parse minute differences between handwritten 3’s and 8’s, 5’s and S’s and the ultimate challenge––O’s and 0’s.
- Ability to work in high-pressure environments: When orders come flooding in from reps on Friday evenings, you must have the stamina to work late hours and get those orders entered for shipping Monday morning.
- A can-do attitude!
- Background in handwriting analysis and calligraphy a plus.
Sales Order Entry Job Environment:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to squint at both handwriting on paper and minute characters on a computer screen. The employee is regularly required to work overtime to complete data entry tasks. The employee must also occasionally lift and/or move heavy stacks of paper. Loads of up to 15 pounds are not uncommon.